Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Frustrations

I can already see the frustration on my colleagues faces as they gather to speak about me and how they should present me to the city. And, even though I am right in the same room, and offer to help, it really sucks to be basically ignored due to my lack of Bulgarian speaking skills. I mean, it is my work history and life they are discussing after all; who better than I to answer the questions. This has been a frustrating week already, and it's only Tuesday. I'm at the point again where it feels as though the more I study, the less I understand, if that makes any sense.

Yes..I am aware that there is a long initial learning curve; I just wish that my counterparts also knew. It is mentally draining listening and trying to understand Bulgarian all day long..trying to ask questions, and then trying to understand the answers. The smallest task, such as a simple introduction to the Police Inspector in town, or reheating leftovers without a microwave, or even just figuring out what to cook and how to cook it..they're all much more difficult here. I am really looking forward to that time when I look back and see how far I've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers