Thursday, November 26, 2009

So, i had an absolute fantastic weekend, and I hope everything will go smoothly this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. I had originally planned to go back to visit my small village that I lived in during training (since all my winter stuff is still there)..but my friends convinced me to stay in town, and it was completely worthwhile. Katia helped me teach English Saturday morning, and then her mom picked us up and took us to their village, and made a most delicious meal. Everything was spiced just right. Then her mom brings in blankets and pillows (because most rooms in Bulgarian houses have small beds in them) and we took a nice long nap after chit chatting and watching American television; and this was followed by coffee and dessert. It was just such a relaxing day. And the next day a group of us went to Nicopolos ad Istrum.
Now, this to me was awesome..so much history from the Roman times still to be seen..out in the open for anyone to view, touch, stand on, sit on. And what was more amazing was when Georgi (Katia’s brother) said that there is still so much there that has yet to be unearthed. And that reminds me of another conversation..did you all know that Spartacus was from Bulgaria? That was news to me. And then after exploring, we had a nice picnic and played Frisbee, and I think it’s called Priroden topka (kinda like dodgeball), and had a fun soccer-like game on the hike back. It was just a great, relaxing weekend.

Oh yeah, I think I’ve seen it mentioned several places ..we reached our six month mark. It is hard to believe that I have lived in Bulgaria for that long.

So, I hope you all will enjoy that yummy Turkey dinner for Thanksgiving! I’m trying to make it to a friends place, closer to Sofia where a small group is having a get-together, but I can’t imagine that it will compare to Turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and pies, lots of pies. Oh..I love Thanksgiving. Since we all pretty much work during the week, we’re going to meet up on Saturday to celebrate. Yeah..i only have to teach four English classes that morning before I leave :(

1 comment:

  1. The game you're reffering to (dodgeball) is called "Narodna topka" ("Народна топка") meaning (literally) - Peoples ball :)))

    ReplyDelete

Followers