Sunday, December 13, 2009

week ending Dec12th

I don’t think life is ever going to be slow or boring for me in Bulgaria..but that’s a good thing, because I have just been having so much fun. There’s always new foods to taste, new places to visit, new people to meet, new holidays to celebrate, and good friends to hang out with.


First, I just have to say I love Xora classes. These are Bulgarian traditional dances, and they are crazy good workouts (especially when you do them for 2 hours), and they are as fun to dance as Salsa..and if you know me, you know I love to salsa dance. I have to take a clip on my camera some time so you can see. These are some really complicated steps. When you participate in a Xora..you don’t ‘dance’ a Xora, you ‘play’ a Xora..so when I got there, I think it’s kind of funny they ask играйш ли? (Meaning do you want to play?).

Then, I recently had an interesting invite ‘na gosti’ to celebrate a ‘Свински празник’ – that is Pig Holiday. Yep, the lucky pig was slaughtered. If you look in my pictures, you’ll see a picture of the pig’s butt and also the pot where the pigs head was boiling..sounds tasty right. Luckily I was teaching this morning and did not watch the slaughtering of the pig. This celebration is similar to others including lots of new foods and lots of alcohol with good friends.

And today, oh lucky me, I have a kids party to go to. Hmm..I think I forgot I am supposed to be attempting to make a pumpkin pie from pumpkin. Oops.

Oh..the best thing though to happen is the snow! It finally snowed here and it is beautiful out. I think I’m going to have to breakdown and join the gym here since I don’t think I will be able to run at the stadium in the snow..but that’s completely okay..I love the snow!!

One last thing..before I go, during our Pre-service training we had to learn a couple of phrases to say if we attract unwanted attention and I have to say that I am very glad they make us practice these phrases..because for the first time I had to use one of the phrases, and I knew what to say..and you know what, it worked. So, a big thanks to Peace Corps for this training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers