Monday, February 15, 2010

Happenings in February

A lot of fun and interesting things have been going on these couple weeks. For one, there was a holiday called ЕРГЕНСКА ВАРТОЛОМЕЕВА СВАТБА, which translates into something like a Bachelor’s wedding..all the single men in town have to dress up like a woman for the day. They’ve had this tradition for many years..since 1930’s. There is a reception and a parade of them around town. I guess the point of the holiday is to humiliate the men into getting married. So..I saw these pics online of the holiday from last year..very interesting. Check out this link to see just what single men have to go through in this village http://andreeva75.snimka.bg/holidays/ergenska-vartolomeeva-svatba-s-kozarevec.340189.10478565.big


But, the day before this holiday, there is another holiday All Souls Day..where you commemorate a person who was close to you that passed away within the last 3 years. I kept making the mistake of saying ‘Thank you’ as people in the village kept giving little bags filled with breads and treats. You’re not supposed to say thank you..because this is their way of acknowledging the soul of the person that passed away..it is believed that the souls of the these people come back on All Souls Day and stand by their own graveside. Relatives give food to other people to satiate the Departed’s hunger..and according to online resources..they also light a candle ‘to illuminate the Departed's road so that they do not get lost in the dark’.

Also..one of the schools I work with participated in the 2nd annual regional tournament for English. Each class put together a short play or song in English. I have to say, it was quite an experience to watch them all perform. First off, I was one of only a few people who understood what each of the groups was saying when they were performing (in English)..you could tell by the looks on their faces that some of the groups had no idea what they were saying..a lot of the groups simply played a song and sang and danced with it, for example one group sang and danced the entire Katie Perry song ‘Hot and Cold’..and then three other songs also. And then the older groups performances were a little inappropriate for the age groups that were there..their plays were about infidelity, rape, and death..i know the students didn’t understand the words, but the action said plenty. But..I have to say, I was very proud of my group..they took first prize for their age group! I thought their pronunciation in the play ‘The Turnip’ was by far the best of all the groups. They were so excited and screaming and jumping up and down. It was a good day. But on the flip side..I didn’t realize that all the local schools from my city were participating. It made for an uncomfortable meet, since it is difficult to find time to visit all the schools often.

This weekend was spent with some good friends skiing and hiking in the Stara Planina..Gramadliva was the location,  and it was just breathtakingly beautiful. While the snow had begun to melt in most places, there was plenty here for playing in. We went to go sledding and skiing..the snow was a little too mushy for me to ski, but Elena and Angel tried it out..and we all went sledding down the mountainside..that was fun. The guide at the hut was great and you could tell he really enjoyed being a host. We had such a great time we went back the next day..and I know for sure I will be going back again. And I really have to say thanks again to my dear friends from home who sent the Brownie mix..I whipped up a batch to take with us and oh were they tasty..i’m saving the other pack for my Birthday 

The hiking was quite a workout..sometimes you were able to walk on top of the deep snow, and other times (most of the time) my foot would fall through up past my knee with each step. We saw lots of footprints for wild boar..but never actually saw a boar. There were so many differently shaped trees..i tried to capture some of it in my pictures, but they do not do them justice. One of the ones that I liked the most was the one that was struck by lightening..the center of it is hollowed out with some really interesting designs inside. Look at my pictures and maybe it will give you a bit of an idea.

I probably say this often, but Bulgaria is a beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers