Wednesday, November 24, 2010

8th grade girls

My camera broke on my last hike to Buzludja..I had been thinking, what a great camera I have..it’s lasted so long, even with me being the klutz that I am and dropping it often..and then it just quit working..so, you won’t see any pictures for a while

So last week, I was given the opportunity to meet with the 8th grade girls in the school I work with. I had this crazy idea that maybe they would be interested in an exchange of ideas with some American girls. It was a bit disappointing from the start..my translator didn’t show up..and after finding another student to help, the girls were interested in hearing the Americans responses..but not so interested in answering the questions themselves.

There were a few discussions, and difference of opinions – as to how old they want to be when they get married. A few said ‘in their early 20’s’, the majority said ‘mid 20’s’, and 2 said ‘in their 30’s’.

They quickly indicated that their lives wold be different from their mother’s lives..and they all wanted to get married and have kids. The majority didn’t think men and women paid equal in Bulgaria..but they think that girls their age in Bulgaria have no problems.

So..what I did learn, was when I meet with the 9th grade girls I need to use methods other than only a discussion to work with the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers