Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 6 - Bulgarian Holiday

..sometimes, I think I need to write a little more here about Bulgaria, and thanks to my new counterpart (my Bulgarian tutor and good friend, Petia) I can understand and explain these important dates in Bulgaria. This was all brought on by the recent September 6th holiday here in Bulgaria.

March 3 (1878) – This date celebrates the removal of the Turkish yoke..after 500 years, Bulgaria is finally freed with the signing of the San Stefano Treaty..that is, until the Berlin Congress separates Bulgaria. Control of the southern part of Bulgaria is returned to the Ottoman empire.

September 6 (1885) – Bulgaria had been split in two..for a long time – half was under Ottoman rule, and the other half was with Russia. September 6 is the day celebrating the reunification of northern and southern Bulgaria.

September 22 (1908) – This is Bulgaria’s Independence day (1908), from the ottoman empire..like our 4th of July

We had an long Bulgarian conversation about communism..because I am always so curious what it was like. I mean, I know what I heard growing up in the USA, and I studied a little during college, but it’s so much more interesting hearing it from my teacher..I mean, she had already been a teacher for 20+ years when communism was crumbling here. She has seen the changes, taught during the changes, and adapted with the times. If I thought my writing skills were good enough I’d write about it more..but for now, I try to make notes to myself about our discussions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers