Monday, October 18, 2010

halloween, online newspaper, life

Today was mask-making day in Maxim Raykovich..I’m helping the 5th-7th graders pull together a Halloween party. It’s great to see the creativity of the students. We are having 2 contests..one for the best mask (scariest, prettiest, and unique), and the 2nd is the scariest story (which they will tell in the gym, with the lights turned out and Jack-o-lanterns lit). I have seriously been visiting English classes all week long to have discussions about Halloween in the USA..all the teachers have a short history of Halloween (in English) with quizzes for the students. Everyone has started bringing in all kinds of materials for Halloween (of course including carved jack-o-lanterns..I’m impressed with their participation. This Friday, we’re going to bake chocolate chip cookies in the cooking room downstairs..i’m thinking I might have to limit the participants..i got a little overwhelmed with the number of kids who showed up for making masks. We also made a bunch of spiders out of construction paper..now we just need the spiderweb, and one group made some awesome glow-in-the-dark bats. But I have to admit..I’ll be happy to be done. Even with the help of the teachers and students, it’s a lot of preparation.

..and unfortunately, my online newspaper team is slightly behind schedule for our first issue to be up on November 1st. I have a motivated team to work with to develop Maxim Raykovich’s first-ever online school newspaper. We have found a site to host us. We have stories, video clips, essays, a poll, a photo gallery..and our first issue will come out November 1st (hopefully). I will post the link to my website when it’s up. The majority of the paper will be in Bulgarian..however there will be a section from me..strictly in English, and many interesting pics in the photo gallery.

..and my Business English class and Junior Achievement started this week. I am really excited about the Junior Achievement class..but the students seem to be more excited about the Business English class. We’ll see, as the weeks progress.

..and most of all, I am looking forward to my reward to myself for working so hard to get everything up and running with the new organizations. Halloween weekend, I’m headed to Croatia. I’ve got my fingers crossed for good weather, and a relaxing trip..even though I know when I travel with Bulgarians they talk, they drink (rakia), they dance, they shop, they go, and go, and go. I’m sure it will be a fun trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers