Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned that two days a week I work in villages, and on those mornings I have to be at the bus stop by 7am..this is the hardest thing for me, being on time for these busses. But the hospitality in these villages make up for having to get up so early. At my Tuesday village there are two café’s..only one is open this early..so I’ve been getting to know the villagers since I drink coffee there every Tuesday while waiting for the cultural center secretary. It’s funny, if one of them dares to start talking to me, the others will pipe in with questions every time..and I put up posters to recruit students for English classes..so of course, I’m gonna talk about it at the café. When I suggested English classes there, they all said no one would come..well, we started this week with enough students for at least 3 groups..older and younger..now let’s see if I can retain them :)

So..this morning, when Veselina arrives, I’m thinking we’re going to the cultural center..but, surprise for me..this is a holiday for St. Ivan Rilski (he is remembered as a miracle worker..and founded the well-known Rila Monastery in Bulgaria). There is a small monastery in this village, and many of the villagers celebrate...so, that means me and Veselina, and the mayor, and assistant mayor as well. And then..I had a great surprise this evening as well. A bunch of my friends were getting together to see a dance production by Neshka Robeva..I was not quite sure what to expect. In a way, it kinda reminded me of my favorite dance show I ever saw in Boston ‘Burn the floor’It was good..it had some really cute parts that I wish I had video of..i loved the music. I wish it was like in the USA..where they market everything..I really want the music. So, as we’re getting ready to leave, I hear ‘Tricia’ behind me..and as luck would have it, a friend from Lyaskovets had been directly behind me..no need to pay 10 BGN for a cab..Sometimes Bulgaria is sooo very small..but in a good way

I heard from one of my colleagues in school (since I wasn’t there today)..that the school is overflowing with pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns brought in by students for the big Halloween party Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers